Thursday, December 5, 2013

JPop?

Ever wonder what it would be like to be a crazy ass pop culture fan in Japan. Well… you probably haven't so let me enlighten you. In Japan, they listen to music. But their pop music has its own name, JPop. Creative, I know. But the fact is that Japan has the second largest music market in the world. To me, I just find the Japanese language so epic sounding. Could that be the key to its musical success?

Something unique about Japanese pop culture is that it has also incorporated in factors of the past to shape itself. Unlike here, where pop culture is “one day you’re in and the next day, you’re out”. Everything from current and popular Japanese food, movies, manga, and music all have roots in the past. In the case of JPop, it started off as typically a combination of 1970’s style rock mixed with the Japanese music at the time to give it a western feel. If you ever go to japan some day, don’t be surprised to see this stuff flooding the TVs because I warned you.  Now it has grown to become a vivacious, electronic, kick ass genre that you should totally listen to some day when you’re bored at work and are sneaking in breaks on your phone even though you aren't supposed to.

3 comments:

  1. Yay! J-Pop! I think I like the Japanese way of thinking better, I like how it sticks to its roots in the past because then it'll always stay traditional but at the same time it's like kick ass and new too. I'll check some songs out sometime! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take Japanese, and I love learning its culture, but I could never really get into Jpop. I subscribe to this youtuber, brotherannie, a teacher in Japan. Her description of Japanese girl groups is pretty accurate: ¨Spice Girls on helium¨.
    That said, I can see why a lot of people like it. It's definitely unique, and here to stay. Cool blog post

    ReplyDelete